Banana, Carrot, and Walnut Cake
It’s healthy, it’s light, it’s downright divine. Try it and we’re sure you’ll agree.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1¾ cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 4 small Cavendish bananas, peeled
- 1½ cups coarsely grated carrot
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 lady finger banana, thinly sliced
- 1 passionfruit, halved
- Cream cheese frosting
- 200g cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced. Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm round (base) cake pan.
Beat eggs, sugar and oil with an electric mixer on high speed for 3-4 minutes or until thick and creamy. Sift the flour, bicarb and nutmeg together over the egg mixture. Stir until combined.
Mash the Cavendish bananas with a fork (you should have 1 cup). Add to egg mixture with carrot and walnuts. Fold until just combined. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make frosting, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sugar, a spoonful at a time, beating until thick. Spread icing over the cake. Top with sliced lady finger banana and passionfruit pulp.