Diabetic friendly Banana berry muffins
Great for diabetics. Great for your tastebuds.
- 2 cups traditional rolled oats (see tip)
- 11/4 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- ¼ cup Splenda Blend or Whole earth Baking Blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large Cavendish Bananas
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbs light olive oil
- ½ cup (about 80g) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp icing sugar, optional
- Extra ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, optional
Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced. Line twelve muffin holes with paper cases or grease holes with canola spray.
Place the oats in a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in flour, Splenda Blend, baking powder and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre.
Mash the bananas with a fork. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs and oil. Pour into the flour mixture. Add the banana, stir gently until just combined. Fold through the blueberries. Spoon evenly into paper cases. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack.
Combine icing sugar and cinnamon and sift over the warm muffins to serve.
Tip: Important to use the all purpose rolled oats not the quick cooking ones.