Green Banana Som Tum Thai Salad
This is a great way to use green bananas in a salad. There natural sweetness of bananas balances the chilli.
- 2 green or just ripe bananas sliced (last minute)
- 60 gm or 1/3 cup light palm sugar crushed
- 2 x cleaned coriander roots and some stems ( the best flavour) chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small red (skud) chilli, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 x 250 gm punnet cherry tomatoes (chopped)
- ½ a small Spanish onion (or to taste) - shredded very fine
- 1 ½ cups sliced Lebanese Cucumber or 1 large one shredded
- ¼ cup crushed dry roasted peanuts
Put the crushed palm sugar and 2 tablespoons of boiling water in a bowl and set aside to cool
Put the coriander, chilli, lemon juice, sugar and water, fish sauce, garlic in the food processor and process till fine. Pour into a medium sized bowl
Add the chopped tomatoes, Spanish onion and cucumber to the bowl. Then add the very finely sliced green banana. Toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts and a bit of extra coriander.
Use a food processor or pestle and mortar to crush the dressing ingredients for best results. The secret of this salad is to really shred and chop all the ingredients EXCEPT the bananas. Make this just before you want to eat and serve as a side or with seafood or chicken.