Banana Flower Salad
This is a great summer salad low in kilojoules and rich in iron.
- 1 banana flower or bell* (about 500g)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp shredded ginger
- 500g lean rump steak, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mint leaves
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 - 2 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- * Available at specialist green grocers.
Discard tough outer leaves from banana bell and then finely shred. Heat oil in a wok or frypan over high heat. Add onion, chilli, garlic and ginger and cook for 3 minutes or until golden. Add shredded banana flower and cook for 8 - 10 minutes or until banana flower is tender. Add beef and cook for 5 minutes or until sealed.
Add lime and soy and cook for 2 minutes. Toss through mint and coriander and serve.